Intro to Tithes
The Settlement of Bosvine
Name recorded as Bosveyn in 1367 & 1539 and as Bosvine in 1579
From Bos meaning Dwelling and meyn meaning stone = Stone Dwelling
|land owner||land worked by||Number on Map||Name & Description||State of Cultivation|| Statute Measure
a r p
|Lord Falmouth||John Permewan||380||Town Field||Arable||6 0 24|
|381||Dwelling,, Barn & Town Place||Homestead||0 2 08|
|382||Slip of Common outside||Tarbury||0 1 00|
|383||Well Field||Arable||3 3 30|
|384||Higher Middle Field||Arable||3 3 04|
|385||Lower Middle Field||Arable||4 2 05|
|386||Willow Garden||Willow||0 1 20|
|387||Long Field||Arable||5 1 23|
|Total Area 24a 3r 34p Rent £ 5|
History Of Bosvine Farm As It Is Now
Was Owned By Dionysius Williams In The Nineteenth Century
present day Bosvine derived its name after the original Bosivine which
was the property of Lord Falmouth and was cited between Trevear and Brew
farms os/n 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 387.
During the census of 1900 Bosvine was classified as too small,
the land was then amalgamated with Trevear farm and therefore lost its
identity. The homestead was sited at the bottom of field o/s 381
The farm known as Bosvine in the twentieth century was part of
the estate of Dionysius Williams and became part of St Aubyn estate.
In the latter part of the nineteenth century. Records show it being
farmed by Matthew Nicholas prior to him moving to Mayon farm.
was part of the Mayon Green Estate and was purchased by S.S Jackson on
22 November 1922, the farm was occupied by Ceciul Trewern until 1930,
owing to the homestead had fallen into disrepair he built a bungalow
to live in, when he moved from Bosvine to the cove he dismantled the
bungalow and rebuilt it in the cove which today is known as wave
During 1929 parts of the field’s os 285 and 134 were sold to Miss Belfield who sold part of o/s 134 to Frederick Shannon for building purposes. S.S Jackson reinstated the building at Bosvine and built one extra cow byre, also a slaughterhouse to supply meat to Jacksons stores. He worked the farm until 1959 when he transferred the farm to his son Cyril who owing to his wife suffering a massive stroke was unable to carry on with the farm, he sold it to J.H.M and A.J Nicholas in 1976, the building was later demolished to make a site for the building of a telephone sub station.
supplied by Dave Jackson (on
behalf of Cyril Jackson former owner of Bosvine Farm.).
Sandra and George Pritchard are the authors of original work on this site. They give permission to copy and use this information on the following conditions.